Friday, July 15, 2011

Considering Playing The Bass Guitar?

By Christopher John

When I was in my pre- teens, my older Brother Jerry decided that he wanted to start a band with me and my brother Bill. Jerry decided that he would play the guitar, Bill would play the drums, and I was elected to play the bass guitar. I have never forgotten those years as a musician, and I never will.

Of course, it's not necessary to try and become a rock star or anything just because you learn to play the electric twanger. It's really a lot more fun just to play as a hobby, although learning to play will take some time, just like any other instrument.


First you should decide what type of music it is you want to play, that will help you select the style of bass you'll want. There are a number of different types of bass guitars available, including your standard four string, five string and even six string models.You may want to choose a solid body or perhaps a hollow body acoustic, and of course there is always the "old standard" stand up bass. (Which I have always felt is probably one of the most difficult types to play).

The method of playing is also another thing you'll have to consider. For instance, the stand up type bass has always traditionally been played using the fingers, but when playing the regular electric or even acoustic type bass guitars, you could also choose to use a soft or hard type pick, or even play using the "slap" method commonly used in a jazz or a disco type setting.

When first learning, it's always best to start out with an inexpensive model. This way you won't spend a lot of money before you know if you are really serious about learning or not. You can find a used bass guitar suitable for learning on for as little as $100.00 or less. My first one was a regular six string guitar purchased from a drug store catalog, that my brother crudely converted it into a 4 string bass. It was by no means the easiest bass I ever played, but that was what I learned on.

Once you have learned well enough and know you are going to stick with it, there are a wide variety of more expensive models that can cost you upwards of a thousand dollars or more. You can take lessons or learn yourself if you like. I suggest taking at least a few lessons when your first starting out.

Show how much you care about that special someone by having a

personalized poem written for them.

Go to http://www.epoems4you.weebly.com for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment